What are we about? We’re the #1 weather company in Canada. We’re about providing current, accurate and detailed weather information. Our website is in the top 5 news sites in Canada and our weather app is the most popular weather app in Canada!
Life at Pelmorex: Our founder, Pierre Morrissette, has built a culture where you feel like you’re a part of an extended family. People are friendly. People are accessible. People truly care about each other. Together we’re focused on the future and becoming the international leaders in weather information.
Pelmorex Pride: We are proud to be the undisputed leader of weather and travel information through websites, applications, specialty television networks and commercial weather services. We reach, on average, 40 million users each month. The Weather Network / MétéoMédia are the #1 Weather App in Canada with 4.2M unique average users. We also have the #1 iPad Weather App in Canada and a 2M average monthly reach on Desktop & Tablets (generating 113M average monthly page views). Our number one focus is our employees and we have won numerous awards for outstanding achievement in employee satisfaction, including being named one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies and Canadian HR Team of the Year Award 2015.
We’re all about the WOW: We need people with ideas; people who challenge the status quo and think outside the box. We need enthusiastic people and collaborators. We’re looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers. Most of all, we’re looking for people who are passionate about what they do and about the weather. Does this sound like you? To find out, you’ll need to apply!
Perks: Just a few reasons to join our amazing team include competitive salary and benefits, a casual work environment and summer hours. We offer endless tea and fresh coffee, a busy social calendar of events and proximity to great amenities. We have plenty of free parking and are a few-minutes’ walk to the nearest bus stop.
BDU Support Engineer
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Oakville, ON
The BDU (Broadcast Distribution Undertakings) Support Engineer is responsible for the distribution and localization equipment for all BDUs for The Weather Network (TWN) and MétéoMédia (MM) Services. You will ensure that subscribers and BDU’s are receiving Pelmorex services in accordance with established Pelmorex standards. Maintaining these services will be in collaboration with service providers and BDUs across Canada.
The Job: A day in the life of a BDU Support Engineer:
- Provide technical support to resolve any issue with the distribution and localization equipment raised by subscriber, BDU or internally
- Design technical solutions for new services and work with service providers and BDUs to implement them
- Coordinate new installations or equipment replacement with BDU or service provider. Ensure that replacement equipment is set according to the standards established by Pelmorex Media Inc
- Maintain inventory of spare equipment to be shipped at any time
- Configure, maintain and repair, but not limited to, the following equipment: PMX1500, PMX3200, PMX NG, Cisco IRD (various models), Harris M400, Selenio HD and SD encoders
- Monitor and maintain TWN and MM audio, video and data service on various fibre and satellite feeds
- Configure and maintain all network switches used for IP video distribution
- Set-up, update and maintain affiliate database
- Establish and maintain relationship with BDUs engineering departments
- Create monthly problem report in regards to distribution and localization
- Train other broadcast technicians in regards to distribution and localization equipment and services
- Assist in preparation of annual budget
- Work week is 5 days, Monday to Friday, 8 hours per day
- Required to carry a company owned mobile phone to respond to emergency calls in a 24/7 environment
Responsibilities and duties may evolve and change over time.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering/Electronics or telecommunications
- Must have 5+ years of experience in a related field
- Excellent knowledge of Broadcast digital technology, MPEG encoding, decoding and transports
- Strong knowledge of analog audio and video technology
- Strong IT skills and knowledge of IP transports
- Working knowledge of cable and satellite consumer distribution an asset
- Bilingual (English / French) is an asset
What makes you shine?
- Ability to work under pressure, meet deadlines and analyze problems
- Works well individually (self-motivated) and as a member of team
- Creative & innovative thinker (outside-the-box thinking) to provide high value-of-service to clients
- Aptitude to work flexible hours in a 24/7 environment
- Excellent communicator
- Well-developed organization and documentation skills
Send your resume to HireMe@pelmorex.com. Please quote “BDU Support Engineer” or in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. As a condition of employment, this position is subject to the successful completion of third party pre-employment background checks.
Pelmorex Media Inc. is committed to equity in the workplace.