We are looking for top talent to fill our new bilingual roles in our Oakville, ON office. We are very excited about the arrival of enthusiastic Francophones, who will spice up the ambiance and the culture at Pelmorex!
What are we about? We’re the #1 weather company in Canada. We’re about providing current, accurate and detailed weather information. Our website is in the top 5 news sites in Canada and our weather app is the most popular weather app in Canada!
Life at Pelmorex: Our founder, Pierre Morrissette, has built a culture where you feel like you’re a part of an extended family. People are friendly. People are accessible. People truly care about each other. Together we’re focused on the future and becoming the international leaders in weather information.
Pelmorex Pride: We are proud to be the undisputed leader of weather and travel information through websites, applications, specialty television networks and commercial weather services. We reach, on average, 40 million users each month. The Weather Network / MétéoMédia are the #1 Weather App in Canada with 4.2M unique average users. We also have the #1 iPad Weather App in Canada and a 2M average monthly reach on Desktop & Tablets (generating 113M average monthly page views). Our number one focus is our employees and we have won numerous awards for outstanding achievement in employee satisfaction, including being named one of Canada's 50 Best Managed Companies and Canadian HR Team of the Year Award 2015.
We’re all about the WOW: We need people with ideas; people who challenge the status quo and think outside the box. We need enthusiastic people and collaborators. We’re looking for smart, forward-thinking problem solvers. Most of all, we’re looking for people who are passionate about what they do and about the weather. Does this sound like you? To find out, you’ll need to apply!
Perks: Just a few reasons to join our amazing team include competitive salary and benefits, a casual work environment and summer hours. We offer endless tea and fresh coffee, a busy social calendar of events and proximity to great amenities. We have plenty of free parking and are a few-minutes’ walk to the nearest bus stop.
Associate Editor, Digital Services
Job Type: Full Time
Location: Oakville, ON
Bilingual is Essential: French & English
We absolutely require bilingual Talent (French/English) to ensure that we deliver the best final product to our viewers. Employees working for the MétéoMédia operations will communicate in French between the Montreal and Oakville offices.
As the Associate Editor, MétéoMédia you will be the local editorial voice of meteomedia.com and associated digital properties and mobile apps. Overseeing a small staff of digital writers and freelance contributors, you will determine the news and trends of the day and ensure that MétéoMédia digital properties are covered off with timely, engaging and digital-ready editorial content and video. You will also be responsible for gathering and sharing editorial content ideas and direction with other platform editorial needs for broadcast and with The Weather Network team to reach the overall business objectives for Weather Canada.
The Job: A day in the life of an Associate Editor:
- Supervise and coordinate published work of digital writers
- Manage an editorial calendar for the digital team based on collaboration with MétéoMédia TV services and The Weather Network digital team
- Constant contact with Senior Editor to determine columnist ideas
- Seek out and contract freelance columnists and contributors
- Develop and execute a streamlined translation process to utilize the content team at The Weather Network as contributors for MétéoMédia
- Liaise with Met team to attract quality “Insiders” to write for the digital properties
- Edit and publish content from freelance and Insider contributors
- Increase the volume of video content to digital properties in collaboration with the TV team, utilization of the Hyperdeck, increase use of UGC, use of video blogs, freelance editors in collaboration with The Weather Network etc.
- Host daily editorial meeting
- Participate in daily broadcast editorial meetings to determine opportunities for additional digital footage and coverage
- Participate in Meteorologist and Storm Watch briefings
- Editorial vision and ability to determine priority of news
- Use social media, blogger sites, twitter and other avenues to seek out the story and provide background for great content
- Promote and monitor quality control in published material
- Assist in thumbnail and headline creation and optimize the story layout on the site to drive maximum engagement
- Grow key metrics (Page Views per Visit, Time Spent, Customer Satisfaction) relative to competition, with goal of maintaining our number one ranking in weather in Canada and growing the category of weather information online
- Be flexible and available to provide direction when the top story hits, 7 days a week
Roles, responsibilities and duties may evolve and change over time
- A minimum of 3 – 5 years of web production experience
- University degree or equivalent experience in Journalism, Communications, Content Production or a related discipline
- A solid understanding of the basic principles of packaging, editing and writing for Digital
- Excellent organizational skills, strong communication skills
- Knowledge of the weather, the environment and global geography an asset
- Basic HTML and Photoshop skills and experience with online publishing tools
- Basic experience editing and transcoding video files
- Experience working with a CMS
- Ability to write headlines, choose photos/videos and package content quickly and accurately in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Expertise in effective online content distribution methods, including content sharing and link distribution, and social networking tools
- Experience with tracking online content performance and data analytics
- A thorough understanding of editorial best practices and priorities, and an authoritative grasp of the CP Stylebook
- Team player with the ability to follow direction, as well as work without supervision
- Ability to take initiative and effectively prioritize tasks
What makes you shine?
- Ability to initiate, plan and produce content that increases user engagement
- Excellent organizational and communication skills
- Ability to understand audience and news trends and ride the wave of interest
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving ability
- Self-motivated, dynamic and creative with strong work experience
- Team-player with good interpersonal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and meet tight deadlines
Send your resume to HireMe@pelmorex.com. Please quote “Associate Editor” in the subject line.
We thank all applicants for their interest, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted. As a condition of employment, this position is subject to the successful completion of third party pre-employment background checks.
Pelmorex Media Inc. is committed to equity in the workplace.