Assistant Commissioner, Legal, Regulatory and Stakeholder Affairs
Job Type: Permanent, full-time, with benefits
Salary: $120,000 – $130,000 per year
The Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS) is the Canadian communications industry ombudsman, located in downtown Ottawa. The CCTS provides a free and impartial service to customers of approximately 253 Participating Service Providers (“PSPs”), represented by 371 customer-facing brands.
The CCTS’ mandate is to review and resolve consumer and small business telecommunications and television complaints after interaction between the customer and their service provider has failed to produce a satisfactory outcome.
We are seeking an Assistant Commissioner who is responsible for overseeing legal, regulatory (including compliance), stakeholder affairs and communications for the organization. This position contributes to the development of the CCTS Strategic Plan and ensures that execution of deliverables within its area of responsibility is aligned with corporate objectives. The Assistant Commissioner is a key member of the senior leadership team and plays an important role in establishing and maintaining a framework that supports the organization.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
-Lead a team of employees by offering support, motivation and feedback; champion a culture of collaboration and learning
-Lead the Legal and Regulatory functions: implement frameworks that help to identify, mitigate and respond to risk; ensure CCTS compliance with statutory and regulatory requirements; provide guidance to Director, Legal and Regulatory on complex legal and interpretive issues; prepare for and attend regulatory proceedings.
-Oversee the CCTS Compliance Monitoring and Enforcement program: provide guidance to the Manager, Compliance on complex or novel issues and make recommendations to the CEO with regard to serious matters of non-compliance
-Oversee the CRTC Code analysis process and provide guidance to the Regulatory Analysts
-Oversee the Stakeholder Affairs and Communications function: provide guidance to the Director, Stakeholder Affairs and Communications to ensure effective execution of corporate objectives; liaise with key stakeholders as required.
-Assist at Board of Director meetings by preparing documentation and making presentations
-Assist in the creation of the Annual Report, including FR and ENG media
-Provide support to the executive team and Commissioner as required
QUALIFICATIONS AND EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
– J.D. or LL.B from a recognized law school
-Eligible for membership in the Bar of one of the provinces or territories of Canada or in the Order of Notaries in the Province of Quebec
– Minimum eight year’s post-JD/LL.B experience
– Minimum five years’ experience in telecommunications or broadcasting law
– Minimum five years’ experience leading and managing teams
– Bilingual preferred (French/English), with excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing
– Strong understanding of ombudsman best practices
COMPETENCIES, SKILLS AND ATTRIBUTES
– Results Focus (Service Delivery)
– Excellent ability to manage deliverables, projects and programs that are of the highest quality
– Excellent ability to manage multiple priorities within deadlines (and negotiate and prioritize) without sacrificing quality of work
– Excellent ability to organize and plan own work and support others to do so as well
– Excellent ability to communicate effectively and foster relationships with all levels of employees and leaders
– Excellent ability to focus on strategic planning / needs, including scanning the broader environment to assess and anticipate evolving needs
Quality and Risk Orientation
– Very strong ability to work to a high degree of accuracy and to support the team to do so as well
– Excellent ability to work with highest degree of ethics and integrity and to support the team to so as well
– Excellent ability to listen effectively and act in an unbiased, diplomatic and professional manner
– Strong ability to see the big picture while ensuring the team maintains attention to the details
Problem Solving and Process Improvement
– Very strong ability to analyze information and draw relevant conclusions that drive business decisions and process improvements
– Excellent ability to concisely and clearly explain / present complex topics and processes in layman’s terms
– Excellent ability to guide others in troubleshooting a variety of technical issues
– Excellent ability to use good judgement in decision making and to support the team to do so as well
– Very strong ability to handle confidential information in a tactful and discreet manner
– Excellent ability to solve complex problems independently, but also take initiative to involve others when appropriate
– Stakeholder Relations and Customer Service Focus
– Excellent ability to create a culture that is customer-service oriented
– Excellent ability to respond to internal and external customers promptly and without ambiguity
– Excellent ability to communicate effectively and foster relationships with the public and external stakeholders
– Excellent ability to present / demonstrate executive level public speaking skills
– Very strong ability to coach and take ownership to deliver ongoing feedback about performance and identify effective learning opportunities
– Excellent ability to identify issues and concerns that impact the team’s effectiveness and take action
– Excellent ability to act on information that helps the team deliver at the highest level of service
– Very strong ability to motivate employees at all levels to adapt to and embrace change
– Excellent ability to delegate and empower the team to do the right level of work
The CCTS will make every reasonable effort to accommodate prospective candidates under any of the protected grounds of discrimination. Should you need an accommodation in relation to a job opportunity or testing, please make the request as soon as possible. All requests for accommodation will be considered in a fair and objective manner that will ensure applicants are treated with respect and dignity. Information received in relation to accommodation measures will be addressed confidentially.
Interested candidates should send a resume and cover letter by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Only candidates who will be selected for testing and an interview will be contacted.