Position Language Requirement English Only
Language Skill Levels (Reading / Writing / Speaking) – – –
Status of Employment Short term
Work schedule(s) Part-time
Please note that the purpose of this bank is to accumulate qualified applicants for short-term temporary work required now and in the near future. Only successful candidates will be contacted.
What it’s like working at CBC/Radio-Canada
At CBC/Radio-Canada, we create content that informs, entertains and connects Canadians on multiple platforms. Our successes and accomplishments are driven by embodying and upholding values, which include creativity, integrity, inclusiveness and relevance.
Do you think you have the ability and drive to keep up with this exciting, ever-changing industry? Whether it be in front of the camera, on air, online or behind the scenes, you would be joining a team that thrives on making connections and telling stories that are important to Canadians.
Please note these are casual employment opportunities and shifts may include early mornings, overnights, evenings, weekends or days.
The Senior Writer will write stories, intros and scripts in keeping with the tone and voice of the CBC News programs. This will include breaking news as well as in-depth and context. The writer may also be required to work with reporters, vetting their scripts and providing editorial input and guidance.
- Demonstrate and maintain exceptional skill in writing stories, intros and scripts for broadcast.
- Critically edit material written by others and/or items produced by others.
- Gather information from a variety of reliable sources.
- Present issues and events in a clear and concise manner.
- Provide detailed analysis to enhance the understanding of the listener or viewer.
- Exercise senior news judgement.
- Coordinate the exchange of program material.
- For positions with CBC Radio News: Edit and mix, or direct the editing and mixing of audio and/or visual elements.
We are looking for a candidate with the following:
- A minimum of five years of relevant experience including proven ability in the field and knowledge of the broadcasting industry.
- A university degree or equivalent.
- Experience writing for broadcast news is required.
- Excellent writing, editing and production skills.
- Experience working on a live broadcast news program.
- Demonstrated news judgement.
- Broad range of interests and knowledge, such as politics, business, science, sports, entertainment, popular culture, technology and health and medicine.
- In-depth knowledge of Canadian and International news and current affairs.
- Commitment to reflecting community and diversity.
- Must be a team player with solid interpersonal skills.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle a variety of functions quickly and efficiently in order to meet tight deadlines.
- Understanding of CBC News Information Technology programs an asset including experience using a DTV system, VIzrt, iNews and Avid Instinct elements.
- Understand of CBC's Journalistic Standards and Practices an asset.
Please include samples of your work in link or transcript form.
If this sounds interesting, please apply online! We thank all applicants for their interest, but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
CBC/Radio-Canada is committed to being a leader in reflecting our country’s diversity. That’s because we can only create and tell the stories that connect Canadians, by having a workforce that mirrors the ever-changing makeup of our country. That’s why we, as an employer, value equal opportunity and nurture an inclusive workplace where our individual differences are not only recognized and valued, but also extend to and pervade all the services we provide as Canada’s public broadcaster. For more information, visit theDiversity and Inclusion
section of our website. If you have accommodation needs at this stage of the recruitment process, please inform us as soon as possible by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You are invited to consult and familiarize yourself with our Code of Conduct, which can be found on our corporate website. All employees must adhere to the Code as a condition of employment. We also invite you to take a look at our policy on conflicts of interest. In the event that you become an employee, it will be important to inform us, as quickly as possible, of any situation that, because of your hiring, constitutes or could appear to constitute a conflict of interest.
Wherever in the wording of the job description either gender is used, it shall be understood to include the other gender.