Applications are now being accepted for a full-time position of Analyst Business Systems located in Whitehorse, YT.
This job is accountable for application development and technical support of key Northwestel enterprise applications. The Analyst is responsible for the analysis of user requirements, design and technical support of medium to large-scale systems and integration with medium to high complexity. The Analyst understands all phases of the system management life cycle and can perform effectively in tasks ranging from requirements analysis to test specifications to system maintenance and optimization. The Analyst has knowledge and understanding of IT resources and methodologies and may have specialized knowledge in one or more application areas.
- Works with internal customers to gather, document and analyze requirements to determine solutions.
- Determines scope of project/request, assesses possible solutions and makes recommendations with an understanding of the "big picture".
- Creates detailed specifications for complex systems and ensures development meets the business need.
- Performs feasibility assessments and studies and designs prototypes to proposed solution, and presents them to the internal customer.
- Accountable for creation of project proposals, including risk evaluation, escalation, scheduling of work and estimates for programming effort and other costs.
- Supports programming functions to support specific business solutions and conversions.
- Participates in the definition of architecture for large projects under the guidance of a systems architect.
- Performs level 2 response on IT incidents and called upon to be Situation Manager on major IT incidents.
- Develops complex test specifications and maintains documentation and models.
- Provides design and test guidance and expertise to members of a project team.
- Plans, schedules and controls the movement of releases to test and production environments, ensuring that the integrity of the production environment is protected and the correct components are released.
- Provides 2nd level support by taking over incidents which cannot be solved immediately within 1st level support, if necessary requesting external vendor support with the aim to restore a failed service as quickly as possible.
- Manages the lifecycle of problems with the primary objective of preventing incidents from happening and minimizing the impact of incidents that cannot be prevented, including the maintenance of records about known errors and workarounds.
- Coaches/mentors/ and provides direction for junior resources.
- Degree in Computer Science with a minimum of two (2) years of related experience, or a Diploma in Computer Science with a minimum of three (3) years of related experience.
- Strong knowledge of relational databases, SQL, PL/SQL.
- Programming experience with Perl, C++ J2EE (JDBC, JME, JSP).
- Web development experience with MS SharePoint, Drupal, .Net, PHP, HTML, XML, DHTML.
- Working knowledge of Windows, HP UNIX and Solaris.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Strong project and time management skills, interpersonal, communication and organizational skills.
- Experience with Web based applications with a database back end.
- Experience in Java Application Servers, SOAP and LDAP would be considered an asset.
Critical Success Skills
- Ability to work in a cross-functional technical and business team environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both business and technical colleagues.
- Ability to work in an environment where project and operational priorities may shift swiftly.
What we offer you:
- Health Benefits
- Sales incentive bonus
- Paid vacation with a vacation travel allowance
- Northern Living Allowance
- Work-life balance
- Community involvement
How to apply:
Please visit Northwestel’s Job board and create a Candidate Profile. https://rt11.ultipro.ca/NOR5000/JobBoard/ListJobs.aspx?__vt=ExtCan
Select the position you would like to apply on and then choose “apply on line”. Or fax your cover letter and resume to 867-668-3236, before the closing date.
Northwestel values diversity in the workplace and is committed to the goals of Employment Equity. We strive to achieve a skilled workforce that is representative of the population we serve, and as a Northern company, we are committed to the employment and career development of our Aboriginal peoples. Candidates must clearly indicate on their application if they are an Aboriginal person, a woman, a person with a disability, or a visible minority if they wish to receive hiring preference.